GoPro RFI on various bands

Project to send a balloon into lower space with payload
Daniel Wee
Site Admin

GoPro RFI on various bands

Post by Daniel Wee »

GoPro has been said to generate considerable RFI on several key bands, including 433MHz UHF. I think if we intend to have critical bi-directional comms, this camera needs to be tested to see if it in fact degrades performance on said bands.

Any idea where I can order a GoPro HD from the net cheaply?

Daniel
John Lee

Re: GoPro RFI on various bands

Post by John Lee »

Well if you don't mind me lending you one for the project so lets get this rolling! Just need to use it once for my underwater vid of the corral reef. :) I also have a Sony Webbie to which is collecting dust in my closet.

John
twinturbostang

Post by twinturbostang »

Daniel: I have a GoPro on the way to me. If you have any specific tests (using basic equipment) you'd like to see done, let me know.

Brian
Daniel Wee
Site Admin

Post by Daniel Wee »

twinturbostang,

Thanks but I was planning to do a test similar to what I have done with my other cameras. That way you can get a sense of the relative performance. As such, I'd have to use the same setup with my spectrum analyzer. Thanks for the thought though.

Daniel
twinturbostang

Post by twinturbostang »

Well, in that case, I look forward to the results of your testing. :) I received my GoPro and was able to do a couple of flights with it. Still using my 2.4GHz Futaba FASST system, I noticed a significant reduction in RC control range. I don't recall ever seeing any reports of range reduction on 2.4GHz control systems with the GoPro. So it's entirely possible something else is going on, and I'll have to do some extensive testing to determine what the cause really is. But I still would love to see your testing. If it's possible, please sweep from the 433MHz range (which I know you will do) up through 2.4GHz. I'd like to see if there are any noise spikes at 2.4. Also, how old is your GoPro? Sander eluded in one of his posts on rcgroups that there may be several variations of the GoPro, and some may be noisier than others. And that could be the reason some people have had excellent results with the GoPro whereas others have had significant noise issues.
Daniel Wee
Site Admin

Post by Daniel Wee »

My hunch (and that's all that is at this point) is that there really is only one or two versions of the GoPro, and only one of the GoPro HD. The problem I saw was that the test methodology was deficient and while it yielded some results, it was not comprehensive nor, IMO, done in a proper manner. When I get my hands on one, I will be sure to give it a proper workout and have it characterized on all relevant bands.

Daniel
twinturbostang

Post by twinturbostang »

Looking forward to it Daniel. :)